It’s not just about fasting. It’s a time to reflect and do all things in alignment with Allah. One of the Muslim chicks told me, “Totsy, you must be like us and not drink water if you are fasting during Ramadan.” I told her I was a guest and whatever I did in recognition of a holiday that wasn’t mine was as good as it was gonna get. I’m tired of telling her the same thing. I’m not Muslim. And I already said I’d try it for as long as I could. Bump being thirsty, okay?
The thing of it is, too, it’s respectful, I guess, to not eat in front of them. Forgive me in advance if I forget. Should I break the fast, I’ll do my best to eat behind their backs. You feel me? However, I’ve never fasted without water and I’m not about to start in 100 plus temperatures.
What they, the Muslims that is, need to remember is that as a westerner, I’ve already been fasting from my life. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- The first 2.5 months, no TV. For all these near 4 months, I haven’t seen one episode of Basketball Wives or Braxton Family Values. There was a brief grieving period but I’m healed now. At least until I get back.
- I haven’t driven anywhere.
- I’ve been dealing with slow internet ever since I touched ground. I’ve thought how insane I must be to wait 30 minutes to watch a 5 minute video but I wanna see the damn video.
- I haven’t had a date in nearly 4 months. Well, I can’t put all that on being here. It’s actually been over a year but if I’d been on my regular stumping ground…Oh hell, who am I kidding…
- I can’t talk to men in public. Granted, I’m shy but damn, I can’t even say, “Go ahead of me in line,” if I get outta the grocery line to grab something I forgot. I was told very firmly to never speak with them.
- I haven’t gotten to strut my skinny jeans in public. I don’t care what any of you say about not liking skinny jeans. Stop hatin’.
- I have to get permission wherever I wanna go now. I’m a grown ass woman, okay? But I’ve been reduced to being like a kid asking my parents if I can have cookies from the sweet jar.
I could go on but I have to say, there have been some benefits. I’d like to think I’ve gained a lot more than what I’ve temporarily lost. Now, I’m gonna have me that cuppa tea you see a picture of here. Oh, I forgot to tell you I’m drinking tea and juice too but don’t tell anybody.